How to Make Your Home Smell Like the Holidays Year - Round


Happy New Year! Hope you all have a great 2017. I'm so psyched about the New Year and all that is to come.
Although the holidays are over (ah, the magic and wonder of the holiday season...), those heavenly scents that remind us of Christmas are too delightful not to share. Here is how I intend to make my home smell like the holidays year-round.

Citrus, sliced - Oranges, lemons, limes, nectarines.
Herbs - Lavender, Rosemary, and bay leaves.
Pine twigs (or other fragrant twigs).
Spices - Whole Cinnamon, Cloves, Nutmeg, Allspice.
Extracts - Vanilla, Mint.

I absolutely love these natural room scents. Since I started using these I have threw out all chemical air fresheners and scented candles.
I have found that cinnamon and clove combine beautifully together and have the most scent staying power.

DIY Natural Holiday Scents

Just fill a pot with water, add sliced oranges, lemons, vanilla flavoring, and spices like whole cinnamon and clove, and simmer the recipe on low heat. You can also heat the mixture in a slow cooker with the lid off. Vary your fave citrus, spices, and other ingredients depending on your mood. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy some holiday scented goodness.
Added bonus: These mixes can be reused several times. They keep on giving. Just make sure to add more water to your pot when the water is half way down.

I use my big coffee pot as a warming method. I fill it with sliced oranges, vanilla flavoring, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves (actually stuff it), and water. My pot has a keep-warm setting that lasts about two hours so it's set and forget. Sometimes I keep a small pot simmering on the stove and it makes the house smell so nice all day.
The orange, cinnamon, clove combination is amazing! It has a strong holiday spell to it! It smells great, and can be customized to personal needs and tastes. There are literally endless scent possibilities too. And the best part? You can really use whatever you have on hand.

To most people, a smell isn't just a fragrance - it's a memory.

Hope you have a great weekend! xx